Home About Me My Classroom Freebies Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Image Map

Monday, March 27, 2017

Shut Up and Blog Challenge, Day 2; Listening to the Voices in My Head.

Well, I can't believe it. I'm actually blogging a second day in a row. Challenge accepted and so far, met. 

I couldn't sleep last night. My brain simply wouldn't shut down and go to sleep. I've had that problem a lot lately. I blame it on a creative writing class I'm taking from Wesleyan through Coursera. 

I've always wanted to write my mom's stories of her childhood during the Depression in Oklahoma.  I have even posted a few of these stories on my little blog but I just couldn't seem to stick with it. 

Recently on a whim, something, I am wont to do, I enrolled in this creative writing specialization on Coursera.  In the past two months, I have learned so much. Initially, I learned that I've been doing it all wrong...not really, but kinda. I've also unleashed the voices in my head. They have always been there. My whole life I've had a scene randomly pop in my head with dialogue and think, "Wow. Where did that come from? That would make a really cool scene in a movie!" 

These creative brain farts were random but since taking this course, the scenes are coming faster, getting bigger and the voices louder (and most with Southern accents and Texas drawls). I find I have a dozen stories I could easily develop except for one small problem. They all want to be heard! "Pick me, pick me! They are sneaky and if I allow them to, they can completely carry me away in a quiet moment. If only I could just concentrate on one, I might actually have a novel in there somewhere. 
One of my writing assignments: Write the same scene from different points of view.

Besides the voices in my head and the sometimes sleepless nights, I love my creative writing classes and the assignments. I am developing as a writer but only time will tell If I will be a published one. I'm not worried because for now, I love writing and all those voices are interesting and I get a kick out of opening the treasure chest occasionally and letting them have their say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment