Home About Me My Classroom Freebies Facebook Instagram Pinterest TeachersPayTeachers Image Map

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Top Ten Things to Know About Me

I am not a methodical person who plans everything down to the last detail and then acts. With most things, I get an idea and then--Blast off! I'm zooming! Blogging was no different. Below I have illustrated my initial blogging experience. (BTW: I've discovered Power Point so expect lots of little slides like this throughout my blog in the future. They are so fun to make!).

Now since that first blog post two weeks ago, I have done considerable research about blogging. I may be the "leap before you think" type of girl but once I commit, I joyfully immerse myself in research. In this case, research is also known as blog stalking. I heard that term on one of my stalking excursions on another teacher's site. It accurately describes it. After much enjoyable stalking of my favorite teacher blogs, I have discovered that most teacher bloggers begin their blogs with "Hey I'm blogging. Super excited to share my class and ideas with you."  Not me. Not my style. Wish it was. So, if you wish, pretend this is my first blog and I want "us" to get to know each other. To do that I have decided to share--wait for it--
Top Ten Things to Know About Me: 
1. I HAVE TAUGHT KINDERGARTEN FOR 15 YEARS
I teach and have only ever taught at a small--but fabulous--school, Big Pasture Elementary in Randlett, Oklahoma. I have only ever wanted to teach kindergarten. It's where the magic happens.

2. I HAVE ADHD
You may have realized this already. It usually only takes a few minutes in my presence or on my blog to realize that. Let me emphasize this: I'm VERY ADHD! I am lucky to work at a place where they love me in spite of it. I think having ADHD is what attracted me to kindergarten. Kinders are naturally attention deficit. We get each other. I am especially lucky to have a husband and family who help me a great deal.

3. I AM A LATE BLOOMER 
Probably due to #2 above. I didn't get serious about college until I was in my thirties. Didn't get married until I was 36 and had my first child when I was 43. Better late than never...or good things come to those who wait?

4. I GRADUATED WITH A MASTERS DEGREE IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION WITH A 4.0 GPA.  
It sounds like I'm bragging but I had to put that in there. You see, when you are ADHD, people have a tendency to think you are ditzy and stupid. Ditzy I am, stupid I am not! Although in "their" defense, I'm very ditzy.

5. I AM A TEN YEAR BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR 
I was diagnosed shortly after my 40th birthday on June 2, 2003. I have been cancer free since May 26, 2004. It was a scary and awesome year but one I wouldn't change for anything. It was proof that even bad things can empower me and enrich my life.
Me, my kinders and my bald head! They loved me anyway!
6. I'M ADDICTED TO MY iPAD 
My husband gave me my first iPad for my birthday three years ago and I think he would now agree it was the worst gift he ever gave me. He gets a little miffed at how attached I am to it. However, I will say this, we are a three iPad family so he kind of contributed and shares in my addiction. He is an iPad enabler. We are iPad codependent? Whatever, I've got it bad. Somebody organize an intervention.

7. I LOVE TO READ  
And not just books. I love to read everything. On a road trip, it drives my husband, Kevin nuts because I read and don't talk to him. We have learned to compromise: I read aloud to him. My favorite book: Harry Potter. I've read all seven of them at least twice and have been to several Harry Potter book parties with my sister, Linda and Niece, Jen who are both Potter fans. Confession time: I still have all my complimentary Harry Potter glasses. Yes, I am a shameless nerd!

8. I HUM TO MYSELF CONSTANTLY AND PUT EVERYTHING TO MUSIC
For as long as I can remember, I have hummed and often I'm not even aware of it. When Seth was younger, I put everything we did to music. We could be doing the most mundane things-eating, changing diapers, bathing and I would belt out a song-but with my own creative lyrics. One day, I picked Seth up out the tub and wrapped him in a towel. I was on the way to the changing table when all of a sudden I sang, "Wrap him up, I'll take him!" This song and tune were borrowed from the Fabulous Thunderbird song, "Wrap it up." This became a nightly ritual when I got him out of the tub. I would sing and dance my way to the changing table. He loved it. I loved it. Shortly after he turned six, he asked me to stop singing everything we do. Saddens me but it's not as much fun when we don't both enjoy it.

9. I'M A MILITARY BRAT 
Furthermore, almost everyone in my family has been in the military, even my sister. I must like the military life. My husband, Kevin is a retired sergeant who served 21 years in the military and served in Iraq. I'm very proud of him as well as the rest of my family.

10. THIS ISN'T MY FIRST BLOG
Nope. Not my first rodeo. A couple of years ago I got the notion in my head to start a blog but after my first post I just lost the urge. This time feels different. I hope it is. I think I have a clearer idea of what I want to do with my blog. I am also super inspired by all the great kindergarten teachers blogging out there. I like to think I am the new kid on an awesome block.

So there you have it. That's me and I hope this is the first, um, third of many posts by me. Thanks for stopping by and please leave a comment (be kind). 






1 comment:

  1. Anyone else get distracted working with content platforms? Grateful to find this new INK FOR ALL word processor. It has a non-distruptive design, offline functionality and dark theme http://bit.ly/2DWi1K9

    ReplyDelete